As 2017 comes to an end, it’s time to reflect on the huge successes of the past year, in particular for our Breakin’ Convention team who continue to bring hip hop culture to new audiences around the world through our international festival, youth projects and education programme.
Here’s what the team achieved during the past year.
- The Breakin’ Convention Festival has visited 16 cities in 4 countries, with a total of 32 shows, each with a unique programme.
- Shows reached 39,698 people and involved hundreds of local artists.
- Hosted 5 Open Art Surgeries in 4 cities, in 3 countries involving 80 artists – with several having gone on to perform work at the Breakin’ Convention festivals and beyond.
- Delivered 5 Higher Learning days covering lighting, sound & technical prep: dramaturgy & choreopoetry engaging over 95 participants.
- 1 Moving Rap project developing movement for 5 rap artists and 1 Back to the Lab two-week project involving 21 artists.
- 10 educational projects, featuring many more workshops. These included a music video project involving 30 young people from across London, as well as outreach workshops in schools outside of London.
- Reached 5 million video views on their YouTube channel BCTV. Watch BCTV here.
Looking ahead, we’re excited to be celebrating the 15th anniversary of the Breakin’ Convention festival in 2018. We hope to see you all there for what will hopefully be another record-breaking year!